Saturday, January 1, 2011

Recover accidentally deleted pictures!

What not to do!
Ok. Last night I decided to empty out my daughter's camera. I went into the menu and then selected "delete all" and pressed "OK". In about a second, the camera was empty. Then I got a sinking feeling. Had I copied the files off the SD memory card before erasing it? I quickly ran to my computer and realized that I hadn't! Oh, noooooo! I had just deleted the only copies of the pictures she had taken on the last day of school before Christmas Break!

A Solution
Well, I had heard about software that can recover accidentally deleted files (such as pictures) from memory cards, so I did a browse of the Internet and found many ( such as CardRecovery http://www.cardrecovery.com/ ) or Recuva ( http://www.piriform.com/recuva ) that would find the pictures for you, let you see previews of the pictures, but then required you to buy the program (anywhere between $40-70) to actually recover the files for you. That's a small price to pay for irreplaceable memories.

Helpful Tip!
The trick to recovering the files is not to use the memory card after deleting the pictures. As soon as I realized what I had done, I turned off the camera and took the memory card out of the camera. If I had left the memory card in the camera and started taking pictures, the new pictures would probably over-write the old pictures, making their recovery impossible.

Take care,
Glen -- DigicamJunkie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment